Here are the five worst mistakes you can make if you want to be successful on a low carbohydrate diet:
1. Skipping meals. A low carbohydrate diet means that you are restricting your source of quick energy. Skipping a meal, especially breakfast, means that you risk a drop in your blood sugar that can cause light-headedness, fatigue, and discouragement.
2. Not reading labels. Packaged foods may have a huge banner on the front that read “Sugar Free” or “No Sugar Added” and still be high in carbohydrates.
3. Not getting enough fiber. A low carbohydrate diet can lead to constipation, which slows weight loss. In addition, adequate fiber is beneficial in reducing more serious types of health problems, such as colon cancer and cholesterol levels.
4. Skipping vegetables. Many people have become so used to having corn, potatoes, or rice as a side dish with every meal that they simply eliminate all vegetables due to either lack of interest or lack of desire. There are many vegetables that are excellent on a low carb diet, contain few calories, and have high fiber content; there are also ways to season them without adding any “no-no’s” that change the taste dramatically.
5. Lack of imagination. It’s easy on any diet to become stuck in a rut and resort to eating the same thing over and over again. Sooner or later, though, boredom sets in until you think you can’t possibly face another broiled chicken. Rotate your foods, educate yourself, and look for new things to try.
A low carbohydrate diet will help you loose weight in a few ways.
1) the amount of protein and fat will keep you satiated far longer than a high carb meal of equivalent calories, this will naturally reduce your hunger and thus reducing overall total caloric intake. The satiety has to do with leptin signalling and a whole host of other hormone patterns. The other part
2) is reducing total daily insulin needs, the less insulin the less calories will be stored as fat. It may be easier to think in terms of insulin vs calories, people try to say CICO is everything but that’s a gross simplification. Keep in mind you WILL have to reduce your basal and maybe even your mealtime ratios once you fully dedicate to a low carb way of eating.
There’s a lot to think of when starting a low carb diet. You need to think of even the type of coffee creamer that you’ll use for low carb diet.